Monday, September 1, 2014

Airport Inspiration


If you are looking for writing inspiration, pause the next time you take a flight. I know you're in a rush to be on time to your plane and that irritated, begrudged feel towards all the hassle easily overtakes. But take a moment and let the thrill of adventure flow through your veins even if you've done this a thousand times before. Open your eyes and observe. Acknowledge the hundreds of stories, the protagonists, antagonists, and supporters walking by. Observe the little girl running off the plane, squealing with delight to embrace her sister. Wonder how long they've been apart and why. Observe the mother with her daughters, walking wearily off. Watch the father rolling his baggage, carrying his young son on one. Observe the young man exit confidently and the young couple lovingly. Ask yourself who they are. Ask from where they come and to where they go and why. Observe the greetings and partings. Note whether they seem to be familiar or foreign. See some come off with loads of baggage and some that come with none. Ask if, why, where, and when. Perhaps you'll find a story waiting for you. Even if you never do, remember what you see and hear, because maybe if your character finds themselves here like you, they can experience all of it, too.

7 comments:

  1. Wow! You've just inspired me SO much! My family and I go to the airport more then the average and next time we go, I am SOOOOOOOOOO doing this! I can't believe I hadn't thought of this before. I have watched people in airports before though. I guess I did find some characters for my stories but I haven't looked as you described looking. Thanks=D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so great! I didn't think this would apply to anyone - because I go to the airport quite often, too - I am glad it inspired you! :D

      Delete
    2. This inspired me SO much! If you don't mind, may I print off what you wrote and put it in my notebook so I can remember what to look for the next time I'm in an airport?

      Delete
    3. Of course you may! :) I hope it not only provides with many new, interesting characters, but make your trips more interesting than usual. I know that flights can be long and if it weren't for this, I'd be so bored!

      Delete
    4. Thank you so much! It means a lot to me:) Yes, sometimes if we have delayed flights then I'll have more time to think of ideas;) When waiting for our flights, I normally watch people and observe them. But I've never thought of writing a story about them. i am definitely doing this! I can't wait for the next plane trip I take;)

      Delete
    5. Guess what, because of your amazing words that inspired me, I had a fun day today. I was at the store with my mom I did some surveying:) I have awesome ideas now and I also took some picture for my ideas...not of other people though, in case you were wondering...just of me in the store=D

      Delete
    6. I am so glad about that! Thanks for telling me, it really encourages me! God bless! :D :D

      Delete