Sunday, March 9, 2014

Among the Oil Derricks: Chapter 7



CHAPTER 7


 “You let him get away? You idiots! He’s twelve! A twelve year old brat! Can’t you - what’s that? An actor? Oh… that’s not good… that’s not your business! Leave that stuff for me and do what I tell you... Next time don’t think! We don’t hire for free! The doctor has high expectation and so do I!” Hades slammed the little cell phone shut and pulled out his iPhone. After navigating through his many apps, he located the number he wanted. Dialing it he lifted the cell to his ear. “Hello, this is Haden Ares. I’m calling for Dr. Seth Johanson.”
After a few moments a sophisticated voice was heard over the receiver, “Hades, my man, how’s the underworld?” There was silence. “I hope you have good news for me,” the doctor tried again. His voice cheerful and expectant. No one could imagine the amount of menace Hades felt beneath the sugar-coated cover.
“I’ve located him,” was all he would say.
“That’s great,” Dr. Johanson replied in a slow, unsure tone, “anything else?”
“Nothing,” Hades replied in a subdued voice. The tension was felt by both parties like a sore.
“Nothing,” the doctor repeated, “Okay… I’ll work with that. You do realize - “
“When you need, we won’t fail you, Seth,” interrupted Hades, “You just give us the word, but not before nor after. I won’t risk my boys’ neck for you when you won’t do the same for them. I’ll do my job on my time. You’ll have to trust me.”
“Alright! Don’t be offensive! We’ve been through alot and neither of us has ever let the other down. Just make sure the job’s done and its done right.”
“That’s my job, now, isn’t it, not yours.” replied Hades irritably.
“Now wait just a - great… no harm done. Could you come down to the office and pick me up. I have some things I want to talk to you about.”
“I’ll be down in twenty minutes.” Hades hung up and started the car. Twenty minutes later he pulled up in front of an office building. A man waiting outside the doors climbed in.
“Just drive,” said the doctor. Hades obeyed. “I have some goods ones on the boy.” Hades said nothing. “He’s thirteen.”
Hades raised his eyebrows, “How’d you find that out.”
“Oh, I know all about his family, now,” the doctor smirked to himself, “all about his hurt and hope. He’ll play right into our hands. Just you watch. Your boys’ take care of the force, we’ll take care of the intellectual. I want you to play with his feelings.”
“How am I supposed to do that?” asked Hades.
“Easy, you meet him.”
“I already have.”
“Oh!” now was the doctor’s turn to be surprised, “How?” Hades cautiously explained to him the events of the day. He could feel the anger rising. “Well,” said the doctor at last with forced self-control, “We have to start somewhere. Meet him again. You’ll just have to work really well.”
“And if he resists?”
“He won’t,” the doctor shook his head confidently, “all humans are the same, just with different life experiences. That’s what makes them different. But human nature is the same and as scientists we can play with it. It’s an equation, a chemical equation. There is not hope out of it, really. We can either live slave to it or use it for ourselves. And if he doesn’t react the way we want him to, we have other ways. One way or another, he’ll come around. There are only so many human varieties and I know ways to work them all.”
Hades loitered outside where the tour was sure to return. Hopefully the doctor was right. Drake would see him and follow him. Then they could talk. What was it Dr. Johanson had told him to say? Oh yes. The man shook his head and scoffed. He and the doctor had gone through a lot together. One could say the grew up in the criminal-hood together. They were both small time when they met, but they had what it takes, except for each other. When that was put together, they were on top of the world. Dr. Johanson took care of all the white collar manipulation, Hades took care of accessing and organizing the manpower, he tried not to get his hands dirty.
Both he and the doctor had excellent educations. Hades was a major in computer science and could hack any fire wall. He had also been in the Marines for awhile and spent two year in the Air Force. Dr. Johanson was a Ph.D. in all sorts of sciences including Biology, Archeology, and Pathology. For awhile they were in the artifacts black market but that got old. The doctor was tired of the anonymity and Hades of the routine. They wanted something bigger, better, and more creative, not to mention more lucrative.
Ah! Hades stood up. He had been leaning against a gate. Here comes the tour. His eyes roved the crowd and was momently distracted from his search when they landed on a young woman standing a little bit aways. Hadn’t he seen her before? She had beautiful brown hair, deep dark eyes. Gee, she was actually all together beautiful.
Heh… he laughed to himself… what’s wrong with you, man? She’s too young for you. Back to the kid. There he was. Drake saw him almost instantly. After saying something to the actor and actress he came over to him.
“Well?” Drake asked coldly, crossing his arms, “Playing again?”
Hades laughed, “Aren’t you funny?”
“Maybe.”
“Enjoy your tour?”
“Yes, thank you very much. What do you care?”
“Just wanted to make sure you had your fill of it before we make our move.”
Drake started, “What do you mean.”
“Oh, you haven’t figured it out,” Hades shook his head with a tsk, tsk, “And the doctor thought you were smart! Maybe I shall tell him otherwise.”
“Stop referring to a doctor I don’t know, who is he?” snapped Drake.
“Confidential, didn’t you hear?” teased Hades, “But there is one way you can no.” Drake glared at him. “Maybe you are smart. You know what I mean without me saying so and I know your answer without you saying so. You might change your mind eventually, kid. You can’t run forever and that actor will only fancy taking care of you for so long. You could come with me and we wouldn’t let the police get you.”
“I bet you’re great at that,” jabbed Drake.
“Oh do you?” Hades raised his eyes, “You’d be right, anyhow.”
“I don’t want anything you offer me,” Drake declared.
“No now, but you will,” Hades tossed a pencil into the air and caught it, “You will. When you’re all alone with nowhere to go, you’ll come to us. We’ll be there, for better or for worse. We all have to take care of ourselves so we find people who can help us. You can help us and we can help you. You’ll realize that soon enough. You don’t want to go back, we know that.”
“But I know that when you don’t need me anymore you’ll be through with me,” interjected Drake confidently.
“There you are wrong,” Hades shook his head, “You see, the doctor may be picky about his confederates, but he likes you. He was like you as a kid. I was like you as a kid. Alone with no one who cared. But we knew how to find someone who was valuable. Even if they aren’t specifically valuable at the moment, an able mind and body can always find use. Think about it. I’ll be around.” With that he walked away.
Derek and Emilie watched him walk away and talk to the other man. “Who do you suppose that is?” asked Emilie.
“No one good,” replied Derek forebodingly.
“How can you say that?” Emilie gazed at him puzzled.
“If he was anyone good, Drake wouldn’t talk to him like that,” Derek answered, “He wouldn’t be so bold. He’s a runaway, remember?”
“Maybe he’s like us,” teased Emilie.
“No, he’s up to no good,” Derek sounded surprisingly serious. Emilie didn’t know what to say so she simply trusted him. “Did I tell you about those two men who were chasing Drake when I met him yesterday?”
“You said something,” Emilie nodded.
“Well, I think he’s another.”
“Then why would Drake go to them?”
“Why do we all do stupid things?”
Emilie smiled a little, but had an unsettling feeling in her stomach. They watched Hades laugh and could almost hear his smirkish tone from his facial expression. They saw him laugh a second time then at last leave. Drake stood there for several second before returning to them.
“Excuse me,” a young woman came up to them haughtily, “I saw you talking to that man over there. Would you happen to know his name? I met him the other day but forgot his name, but I don’t want him to know.” She blushed.
Drake shook his head.
“Are you sure?”
Drake nodded.
“Alright, thanks. Have a nice day.” She walked away. Drake’s eyes followed her as she left. She was the same girl from the day before.
“Want to check out some overlooks?” asked Emilie hoping to brighten the mood. Both Drake and Derek seemed to have suspicious and heavy air.
“Nah… I’ve seen them a dozen times,” Drake shook his head, “You guys can go, I want to do something.”
“Catch us later at the bat caves, right?” she urged.
“Ok.”
“Promise?”
Their eyes met. Her’s was so pleading. “Promise.”
“See you then,” said Derek, “Keep out of trouble, please! And be safe.”
Drake gave a short laugh before leaving. Derek looked anxious.
He and Emilie said nothing all the way to the car and for several minutes while driving. “What’s bothering you?” she asked at last. Derek shrugged. “Don’t give me that, Derek Walker. Something is bothering you and now it’s bothering me because I agree with you, but I want to know exactly what is bothering me, so you need to tell me. I only have hints, but that’s enough to throw me off!”
“That man… he was taunting, I could see it on his face,” remarked Derek.
“Couldn’t a blind man?”
Derek chuckled, “I guess. Who is he? Why did Drake talk to him. You know how Drake is. Someone makes him mad he leaves, he doesn’t hang around. Like two nights ago.”
“So I guess this man must have something on him,” Emilie thought out loud, “Maybe he knows he’s a runaway and is threatening to tell.”
“I have a feeling Drake would just disappear if that’s all to it.”
“Well, maybe he has something Drake wants… information -of - some - sort.” They were both at a loss.
“Whatever it is, I can’t think of any good explanation and that makes me worry.”
Drake wandered in the rough direction he saw Hades take, but did not see him for several hours. He noticed, however, that the men who had chased him the other day seemed to be taking turns trailing him. He managed to lose them a couple times but because he was not willing to be caught alone, they often found him again. He led them aimlessly in circles, browsing the displays and books.
“Dr. Seth Johanson discovers cure for such-and-such.” and “Dr. Johanson claims this-and-that.” Were the titles of many articles. Drake eyes read them not very interested until he saw a picture of the man at convention. Right behind him was Hades! Grabbing the article, Drake read quickly.
Three years ago Dr. Jason Smith and Dr. Seth Johanson promised to find a cure for cancer within twenty years... Upon Dr. Smith’s death last year, Dr. Johanson lowered the expected time to five years... three years from the day he announced his goal. The world has waited breathlessly... hoping beyond hope... On July 30, the doctor announced he might have made a breakthrough… beyond that he would say nothing else until he could give “firmer promises.”
But who was Hades? What was his connection? Thought Drake furiously. Doesn’t the photo have caption or description? After searching through several articles he found the same picture in a different one. This one had a description. “Dr. Seth Johanson giving his announcement… with his assistant Mr. Haden Ares.” Assistant! Drake’s mind turned. Promises! But what did this have to do with the caves.
His mind went back to all that he had learned. Hadn’t the rangers and Emilie told them that the cave was still very much a mystery and speleologists came to try and discover new bacteria and elements that might help cure different world diseases… like cancer? Drake’s heart raced. Was that it? Had Dr. Johanson found something that needed a substance in the caves? Then why would he not tell anyone? Would it destroy them? Or perhaps it was money.
Meanwhile Hades had left the park and was walking down a street with Seth. He tossed his open blade knife up into the air and caught it again by the handle. “Don’t do that!” snapped Seth.
“Bothers you?” grinned Hades.
“That and I can’t imagine a better way of non-verbally screaming, ‘Hey! Look at me! I’m a criminal!’ So just stop it!” growled Seth uncomfortably as he unlocked the apartment door.
“Fine, fine,” Hades snapped it shut and stuck it in his pocket, “Whatever you say.”
They stepped inside and Dr. Johanson shut and bolted the door. Hades stood aside and watched the precaution. He said nothing. “Alright, now we can talk,” the doctor placed his keys into his pocket, “Coffee’s in the kitchen. You can make yourself some and tell me what’s going on. I’ll be in the sitting room. It’s that brand you like, I think.”
“I’ll do that,” Hades headed for the kitchen.
“So?” the doctor asked from the next room.
“The guys are down there watching the kid and I’ll be going down later today,” he told, “We’ve dropped the hints just like you said. Heh. The kid can’t help but play into our hands.”
“You’re sure?”
“Not if we keep on playing your games,” Hades replied impatiently, “but if we have a compromise of your methods and mine, I think we can call it safe.”
“What do you mean?”
“You’re the one in the know about psychology, but I think you are leaving out a major puzzle piece,” he continued not listening.
“Who?”
“The two actors.”
“Emilie Lawrence and Derek Walker, eh? Do you think they are really a problem.”
“If you saw the look on that man’s face you’d know we’re in for it. If Drake disappears, he’ll know who to blame.”
“No, he’ll be to blame…” the doctor said slowly.
“What’s that?” Hades carried his coffee into the sitting room.
“Did you know harboring a runaway is a misdemeanor?”
“Sure.”
“Well, what if someone found out that he’s been harboring Drake?”
“Heh… sounds fun.”
“You bet.”
“But how would you explain him disappearing.”
“Drake is a runaway. Runaways run. So, he ran away after becoming angry with Walker for something. Then the police come, arrest Walker. Walker’s put away for a season, we have Drake. We can do our work and get out before anything goes wrong.”
“And Lawrence.”
“If she doesn’t get put away with Walker, we’ll think of something. Maybe an accident.”
“Whoa… hold it. If you want to cause an accident, you’ll have to cause it yourself this time,” Hades shook his head.
“Since when were you soft?” Seth asked in disgust.
“Since I’ve been left to do all the dirty work. Blood is something I want to deal gingerly with. I’m a creative criminal mind, not a ruthless killer. You do what you want, but you’ll have to convince me it is is within my very high interest before I commit premeditated murder of a woman.” Hades sounded sure.
“Fine, I’ll compromise with you on that.” Seth grumbled.
“You don’t have a choice,’ he answered under his breath.
“They aren’t the only problem, though,” Seth called, “You know Asdis Stefansson is after it, too.”
“I do,” Hades nodded.
“She’ll try to get us to do the work and then step in for the rewards,” Seth continued.
“Can she do anything else?” Hades insulted.
“We have to find away around her, though. She has more money than we do. We’ll just have to move faster.”
“We could…”
“No! No force! I want him to come because he needs us.”
“He won’t!”
“We’ll see!”
“We’re running out of time!”
“Wait! Not much longer.” A minute passed in silence.
“Too bad about the caves, really,” Seth remarked languidly after awhile, “It really is a shame, but in a couple million years there will be more just like it, I suppose.” He sighed carelessly.
“I have a meeting with the weapons dealer next month,” Hades mentioned, “He was very happy when I mentioned the new substance we might be able to sell him. He spent a few nights working it out and figures he can craft some of the deadliest weapons out of it.”
“Genius, isn’t it, I go looking for a cure for cancer and instead find material for a weapon deadlier than a nuclear bomb and easier to make, too,” Seth chuckled, “Oh the money we’ll make.”
“Lowering the deadline for the cancer cure was clever,” ventured Hades, it was his idea, “When you fail, you’ll act crushed -”
“And give up like a coward,” snapped Seth who was not pleased about that part of the arrangement, “Not much fame and glory!”
“Fine, work another twenty years to find a cure for cancer, I doubt even that will make you as rich as this will. I can carry on from here without you,” huffed Hades.
“You are used to doing things undercover,” Seth excused himself, “You won’t be humiliating yourself in front of the world.”
“It wasn’t my idea to do the cancer thing, either,” snapped Hades, “That was your brilliant fame venture with Dr. Smith. You weren’t even the one who had to set up the accident. I don’t like murder, you know.”
“Yes, your aversion to it made it extremely difficult and still is if I recall our last subject correctly,” Seth opined. Hades growled deeply, but said nothing. “Never mind, you’ll set the final scene with Drake?” Hades nodded. “And then, we’ll see if he plays as we want him to tomorrow. You know what to do. I’ll meet you near the cave tomorrow night?”
“Gotcha.” Hades stood and left, leaving Seth to his dark thoughts.
He drove back to the caves for the third time that day. He radioed one of his men who told him where Drake was. Arriving at the spot, he spotted the boy.
“Hey, Drake,” called Hades, “Thought about my invitation.”
“What’s to think about? What’s your name, anyway? You know mine, I should know yours,” Drake meandered over to him.
“I’m called Hades.”
“Like the god?”
“Hade-sss, not Hadees,” he corrected annoyed.
“That’s weird.”
“Hmm…” he wasn’t amused.
“Why do you keep coming round here?”
“I’m overseeing a job.”
“What kind of.”
“One that will change this good for nothin’ park to a money maker.” Hades laughed, “Take a good long look, cause starting manana, it’s all going to change.”
“What do you mean!” Drake exclaimed, “What do you mean?”
“You want to find out, come with me.”
Drake followed Hades only as far as the information building, where he stopped. He could not risk getting kidnapped. “You watch yourself! I’ll be on to you soon!” he shouted before turning and running away.
Hades tried to follow him but he disappeared. “Great,” he seethed, “This little game the doctor is having me play has gone on too long. There are other ways to get our way. He’ll have to take my advice this time.”
Hades turned swiftly and ran into the young woman he had seen before. “Oh!” she exclaimed.
“Sorry about that,” he knelt quickly and picked up her book and handed it to her. Their eyes met, “Hi.”
“Hi,” she replied lasciviously.
“Enjoying the park?”
“Caves aren’t really my thing,” she laughed, her eyes searched him playfully, “I’m just here because my family dragged me. They go on all the hikes and I hang around here.”
“Must get boring.”
“It does.”
“You know, I’m not much o f a caveman myself, but how would you like to see the bats with me tonight?” He invited.
“Aren’t you watching someone,” she asked insidiously.
“What?” he asked inadvertently surprised.
“Little boy, blondie,” she described. Hades glanced at her suspiciously. “Oh, don’t mind me. I was just wondering.”
“If you do come,” he told cautiously, “You can’t mind if I leave all the sudden.”
“Do what you have to do,” she laughed, “I life it when life’s exciting. I’ll meet you at the amphitheater.”
Hades thought as she left. Maybe she would be a good confederate. He liked the vibes she gave him. She was young, but maybe she knew a partner when she saw one. He wouldn’t say anything to Seth. He would only become furious at his quick acceptance. He could just imagine him sputtering about of the tom-fool things he could have done. “He’s not here, now is he?” he assured himself.
That evening he arrived at the amphitheater early. People began to come, but he didn’t see her. He had nearly given up on her coming when a voice beside him said, “Hey. Sorry, my dad wasn’t as quick as I thought in buying my excuse.” He nearly started. He had not seen nor heard her until she spoke and she was sitting right next to him.
“You’re eighteen, aren’t you?” he chafed. She nodded. “You can make your own choices.”
“He’s still getting used to it, my birthday was two weeks ago, and I live off him. Until I get a job or have someone else, I have to do what he says,” she fumed under her breath.
“Hmph… hopefully that’s sooner than later,” he mumbled while observing to himself how confidently she carried herself and how able she seemed. He was becoming convinced she would be a worthwhile teammate in his and Seth’s little adventure.
“That the kid?” she nodded towards Drake coming down the path. Hades nodded. “Anything I can do to help?”
“Not right now,” he shook his head, “what’s your name by the way?”
“Selena, yours?”
“Haden Ares.”
Emilie noticed Drake and waved. He sat with them. He was excited. He had only been able to watch the bats once. Then Drake saw Hades and the girl. At that moment he became confused. Was she with the criminals or was she with the police?
The ranger in front gave the introduction and explained how they knew if they were coming out through some microphones. “Did you know that there are nearly 400,000 bats who roost here?” she asked the crowd. “They are Brazilian Free-Tail bats, but you probably know them as Mexican Free-Tail. These bats come here in the summer to roost and then move on south for the winter. Every night they eat tons, literally, of bugs. The females give birth to their young here, too…” she was not able to continue because they all heard a *knock* *knock* noise coming through the speakers. It was the sound of the bats greatly magnified so they could hear it. At first it looked like thousands of sparrows flying back and forth, but then they realized it was the bats. The soared silently overhead. Their high pitched sounds beyond the spectrum of the human ear. At last the sun went down and they could not see the bats even if they were flying out.
When Drake glanced in the direction of Hades and his friend. They were not there anymore. Peeved, he followed Derek and Emilie to the parking lot.
“Do you have a place to stay tonight, Drake?” asked Derek again after Emilie had gone. Drake looked at him in surprise. He shook his head. “Want to stay with me again?”
A hint of suspicion sowed its seed, but Drake realized he would have to be vulnerable to someone, it might as well be him. “Yes.”
“Great!” Derek grinned revealing he had hoped that would be the answer, “The car’s in the lot.” Drake followed Derek to the car and climbed in. Even then Derek said nothing about the boy’s disappearance that morning. The closest he came to it were a few questions about his day which Drake answered shortly. As usual, he did not press. “Do you want a spare key to the room?” Derek asked when the came to the hotel, “So you can come and go as you please?” Drake shrugged. Derek took that as a yes. “And here is some spending money. You didn’t have very much earlier,” Derek placed three twenties on the table. His tone was cool, but Drake didn’t care.
“That’s alright, I can take care of myself,” protested Drake.
“Uh-huh,” Derek did not shield his skepticism, “Well, if you can, you’d know to take help when you have it. I won’t touch them now. There yours to take or leave.” With that Derek went into the kitchen to fix up two ramens.
“What was up with him?” Drake wondered, “He suddenly seems a bit distant…” After searching his mind a bit he decided that Derek was experiencing after-frustration about what happened that morning. Perhaps he was even a bit upset at him. Wearily he tucked the twenties into his backpack. “You fool,” his thoughts snapped at him, “You can’t do anything right. You shouldn’t have refused the money, but now that you have, you ought to stick by your word. Tsk… tsk… coward. Take care of yourself. Pah!” Drake was too tired to have pride and arrogantly refuse his help.  He needed a place to stay and he felt oddly safer with Derek around. It frustrated him, too.
“Ready for dinner?” Derek asked in a much brighter tone of voice.
“Sure.”
Derek sat down on the couch next to him and handed him a spoon and a cup full of ramen. “So,” he asked, “do you simply tolerate Emilie and myself or do you actually like us?”
Drake started. What sort of question was that? Had he read his mind or something? “You guys aren’t like most people.”
“That’s vague,” replied Derek. Drake shrugged. “Do you like the dinner?”
Drake smiled tolerantly, “It’s a ramen.”
“What?” Derek feigned offense while his eyes twinkled, “It is my specialty. I worked hard to prepare this for us and all you say is it’s “ramen.” That’s appreciation for you. Hmph!”
Now Drake laughed as the awkward tension broke like ice under warm water. Derek was pleased at his affect. “Sure, sure, laugh,” he continued, causing Drake to laugh even more. Finally he sighed and caught his breath again.
“It is good,” Drake admitted, “I like ramen.”
“Good, but don’t tell Emilie that I let you have it,” Derek leaned back against the couch, “She’ll go on and on about the ingredients and how unhealthy they are. If we are ever - well, let’s just say I doubt she’ll let anyone in her family eat this stuff.”
“Is she a healthofrenic?” Drake made up a word.
“You could say so,” Derek nodded, “not as badly as some, thank goodness. She doesn’t like snack-ables or ‘fake’ syrup or white bread.”
Drake shrugged, “That’s not too bad, I don’t like them either. They are not very good and taste like plastic.”
“There!” exclaimed Derek, “You are just like her! She calls them plastic, too!” Drake laughed. By the time they went to bed, they had smiled and laughed a lot, more than Drake imagined he had done in his entire life. How funny, he thought, but it feels great. He definitely needed it after all the pressure he had felt. Maybe it would all be over.
His dreams did not agree. Like little demons, they played with his emotions, twisting and tangling them in all ways imaginable. They tore at him, ripping at his heart and peace. Several times through the night he woke up gasping for breath with the sensation of being about to die. More than once he felt tears running down his face. It was as though his body or spirit was taking revenge on him. In the morning the exasperations he felt had not gone. His body was exhausted by the aftermath and his cheeks stung from the burning of dried salt confirming what he felt during the night.

2 comments:

  1. I found your blog a while ago, but haven't had the time to read it. Well, I read the first chapter but never finished it. I'll tell you what I think about it when i'm done reading it. It looks really interesting:)

    ReplyDelete