Sunday, February 23, 2014

Among the Oil Derricks: Chapter 5



CHAPTER 5


“Are you sure you don’t want to come with us?” Emilie made one last attempt to convince Derek to come up the natural entrance.
“Nope, elevator is good for me,” Derek’s hands were in his pockets and he was very sure.
“Okay, let’s go,” Emilie shrugged and followed by Drake went to the entrance of the hike.
“She is wonderful, isn’t she?” he thought, “One of a kind… maybe I should’ve-”
“Derek Walker?” a voice interrupted his thoughts.
“Yes?” he turned to face three teen girls.
“Can we have your autograph, please! Here’s a pen and our notebooks!”
“Sure, what’s your names?” Derek took the pen and began to sign as if undisturbed, but truly it was beginning to become irritating to be recognized and stopped everywhere even if it did buy him favors.
When he went up the elevator he was amused by another ranger tale. This one was a rhyming on that the ranger who operated the elevator memorized in a dramatic tone. He told of a bat the flew into his house and how the children screamed with fright and the aunt tried to cause the bat to take flight by waving a broom but only succeeding in upsetting the food. Finally he stepped in and let the bat out with a shout of blessing for a peaceful flight into the night begging him not to cause a anyone else such a fright and finding itself in such a plight again.
When he reached the first floor he began to browse the exhibits again. “You know there are at least 118 limestone caves in the Guadalupe Mountains?” a ranger asked him.
“Sorry, no,” Derek laughed awkwardly.
“Not many do, they just think about the main cave, but there are many more that have not even been found yet,” the ranger told him good naturedly before walking on.
“The Guadalupe Mountains used to be an ancient reef at the edge of an inland sea?” Derek read out loud to himself, “Hmm… an uplifted reef during the Permiam time. Now it’s a dessert, who knew?”
“Funny how everything was once under water, but it couldn’t have possibly been a worldwide flood,” the voice of Emilie mentioned behind him, “Oh no, just a bunch of local floods repetitive over a thousand years to explain the effect.” Derek turned to see here grinning. “Oh well, we can’t win them all, can we? We’ll just have to owe up that coincidence seems to be the ruling factor in science these days. And I thought believe in God was crazy.” Her light voice was lightly sarcastic, but not at all hurtful.
“It does seem a bit extreme, doesn’t it?” Derek admitted, referring to the evolutionary belief.
“Oh don’t mind me,” Emilie waved her hand, “I just get annoyed with some of the science suppositions out there. But, seriously, it’s true. A bit far fetched some of what they say.”
Derek chuckled, “What tour are we doing next?”
“I thought we could do a hike instead. I’ve never done Juniper Ridge. Do you want to do that?”
“Sure.”
“Drake, you want to come with? Would the Carlyle’s be alright with that?”
“I’m here on my own,” Drake replied, “I’m old enough.”
“Really?” Emilie asked, “Well then, that’s great!” Her voice tinged with doubt, but it was obvious that if she were going to pursue the matter, she intended to do it at a different time.
Drake spent an exhilarating day with Derek and Emilie hiking and exploring. For the first time in a long while, he felt happy. He was doing what he had always wished he could. But the day had to end and it did, grey and rainy. Derek and Emilie kept their spirits up as they hiked down the path back to the car, but Drake was concerned about where he would sleep that night. He gazed around him. The clouds didn’t show any sign of going away and looked to have a plethora of water. When they reached the parking lot he wasn’t any closer to knowing what to do. Emilie still had the rental car and had decided to keep it for a couple days before returning it.
“Drake, do you need a place to stay tonight?” Derek asked after she had driven away.
“Umm…” could he trust him? He didn’t really want to sleep outside that night. “Yes.”
“Why don’t you come over to my hotel room?” Derek offered, “You can sleep on the couch.”
“Sure,” Drake shrugged.
“I’m headed out right now, my car is right over here,” Derek walked over to his care, “Coming?”
“Oh, yeah,” Drake climbed in on the passenger side. He didn’t say much as they drove to the hotel.
“So, I heard -” Derek began, but deciding that was not a good subject to bring up went in another direction, “So, what brings you to the caves?” He didn’t feel very confident about that subject either, but he had to say something.
Drake shrugged, “I just wanted to see them.”
“So,” Derek brought up slowly, “you came and you don’t have a place to stay.” Drake nodded. Derek cringed to bring up the topic he felt was sure to not be wanted, but he had to know. It was his dreaded responsibility as an adult to ask.  “Does… did Mrs. Carlyle let you come.”
Drake was quiet for awhile. Now was his turn to struggle with his words and how to express what he wanted to. “I’m taking a break from foster care for a little.” He could have hit himself. That was a stupid thing to say.
“Oh really?” Derek asked.
“I’m almost thirteen, maybe I am already, I think I can take care of myself for awhile,” Drake said defensively.
“Oh yes, of course,” Derek did not say it mockingly, but it was obvious he did not agree. “You know,” he continued, “I think I know what you’re going through. We all go through it when we are coming of age, so to speak. You just need some time, that’s all.”
Drake stared at Derek. He didn’t seem to intend to say anything more. That was all? Nothing more about what he should do or why he shouldn’t do what he was doing? Even though Drake was glad, it just didn’t sit right in his stomach. Was it wise of an adult to just let a kid rely on his own wisdom? Or do his own thing?
Derek himself was having some second thoughts, but even though he was not the child expert like Emilie nor had he really worked with broken kids, he could tell Drake was in a fragile time and he didn’t want to make a move until he was sure of it. He was not confident of his authority and wanted to gain it rather than assume it, even if it was his. At the moment, he knew all of Drake’s authorities other than perhaps the Carlyles had just assume control over his life without proving their willingness to acknowledge him as an individual with individual needs.
A few minutes later they reached the The Trinity Hotel & Restaurant. “Do you want to go to the room or the restaurant first?” Derek asked. Drake shrugged. “Okay, room first, we’ll drop off your backpack and then get a table at the restaurant,” Derek decided. Drake felt very uncomfortable. The hotel was a very expensive hotel and the restaurant menu was very posh. Even though Derek told him to order anything, Drake felt a tinge of guilt at ordering anything over ten dollars. He was more at ease when the actor bought himself a twenty dollar meal not including the drink. Still, he felt very self-conscious. After they had had dinner they went back up to the room.
“The couch is actually very comfortable,” remarked Derek unlocking the hotel door. “I would’ve rented rooms for two if I knew I’d have a guest, but oh well.”
“It’s fine,” Drake sat down with a plop. It was comfortable.
“Drake!” called Derek . Drake turned and Derek tossed some blankets at him. They landed on his head. Derek laughed. Drake pulled them off. He was smiling. “There we go, that’s a nice smile,” Derek nodded, “It looks good on you.” Rather than being offended, Drake actually felt his heart warm. He liked Derek. “You know, if you want, I’ll take you back to the caverns again tomorrow. We are going on some more cave explorations, Emilie and I. I’ll pay for you if you care to come along and I’m sure Emilie won’t mind. She likes you. Sometimes I think she likes you more than me.” Derek smiled ruefully, “What do you say?”
“Sure!” Drake replied eagerly. For a moment he forgot about his purpose of coming in the excitement of a chance to do what he had always wanted to. Besides, he could keep his eye out and do just as well, he told himself. He might have slept peacefully that night if he had trusted Derek, but he was too worried and afraid that they seeped into his dreams, and his night was again restless.
“Drake! Drake!” a hushed voice whispered, shaking him. Drake tossed and aimlessly through his arm at the voice. “Fine, I’ll leave you here.” The voice registered as Derek’s in Drake’s mind and he recalled last night.
“Wait!” he cried sitting up rubbing his eyes and running his fingers through his hair, “Wait! I’m awake!”
“Were you awake that whole time?” asked Derek , putting on his coat. Drake shook his head. “Okay, well, I’m ready, so get dressed and brush your hair. I’m supposed to meet Emilie there at eight. It’s seven thirty. I figured you could get ready within fifteen minutes, right?” Drake nodded and dragged himself out of bed. Half of him wanted to climb back onto the couch and throw the covers over his head but the other half was grateful to be awake and aways from those spiteful dreams.
“There you are!” Emilie greeted them when they came into the building.
“Sorry we’re late,” apologized Derek .
“Oh, no, I was just early,” Emilie waved her hand, “it’s only five after. That’s not bad at all, not as bad as I used to be until running late actually started to have consequences.” Drake noticed as her book trilogy bracelet slid up and down her arm.
“I need to go the restroom before we go,” he mentioned, “I forgot to at the hotel.”
“Sure, we’ll wait here,” said Derek.
“So, what’s up with him?” inquired Emilie when he was gone.
“He’s going through a rough time and is taking a break from it all,” replied Derek, “he had no place last night so I let him stay in my hotel room and invited him to come with us. I didn’t think you’d mind.”
“I don’t!” insisted Emilie, “Just surprised to see him, that’s all. He’s running away?” Derek shrugged. “Okay.”
“Emilie, don’t worry,” Derek smiled encouragingly. He resisted the urge to take her hand knowing she’d reject it, “It is only for a little. I’m sure he’ll get over it soon and then we’ll take him back and if not, it’s not my fault.”
“What do you mean?” she asked cautiously.
“I mean I am not going to force him to do anything,” replied Derek, “he’s not ready for that.”
“I agree,” Emilie nodded, “but eventually you might have to, if he doesn’t come around soon. Sometimes things in the real world get complicated and we have to sacrifice feels for facts, intuition for principles.”
“I don’t know about that,” Derek hesitated. His hands sought for his pockets.
“Derek, ‘I don’t think we’re in “Hollywood” anymore,’” Emilie smiled good naturedly, but he could see what she was saying. He put his hands in his pockets uncomfortably. “We live in a flawed world, if we all followed what we felt like was right, we might not be right. It is safer to follow principles. Principles are not laws!” Derek still looked hesitant. Emilie pressed a little farther, “If the truth gets hard to swallow, what are you going to do?” Now Derek looked very uncomfortable. “Okay, let’s put it this way,” Emilie tried a new approach, “Derek, why are you here?”
“I’m wanting to find a new and better way of life than before, one that is more real and meaningful,” Derek answered easily.
“And how will you do that when trials and temptations come?” she asked, “If you don’t have a foundation, a moral belief and relationship with God, if you aren’t willing to accept the absolute truth even when it doesn’t yet sit right with you, how can you sort out the right path?” Derek had no answer. “The Bible is like a roadmap so we won’t be confused by our close-up view, thestreet names or area looks. His word won’t lose it’s way and is like a lighthouse in a storm to guide us when we don’t know and to correct us when we think we do.”
“Okay,” Derek was willing to work with that.
“Do you still have bridges back to Hollywood?”
“You know I do, so do you.”
Emilie nodded looking at him searchingly, “This isn’t your fault, but I’ll throw it out. Often times God can’t move us forward if we don’t fully trust Him. If we keep a back way or plan B doors open, that means we don’t trust Him enough. Honestly, now, I’m talking more to myself than to you. Oh, there is so much to work on and so little life to work on it with. Oh well… we do what we can. I wonder when Drake will be back.”
Derek tried to follow her attempt to brighten the subject, but in truth he was discouraged. He knew that in the back of his mind, if his plan didn’t work out, he could always go back to acting. He still referred to himself as an actor. Would he turn back at the first sign of real trouble or would he hang on to see it through and reach the end of the tunnel? He had come so far already, he couldn’t turn back, could he?
Meanwhile, Drake had hurried off to the bathroom. After washing his hands, he stepped out again. There was not many people around so when he heard an oddly familiar voice he was able to listen. “Hello? Yes… I’m here… I’m in a safe place, yes… No, there is no way we could pull an operation this big secretly, not in this place… one catch… our operation may throw off the delicate balance of the caves, permanently scarring them… not a problem, sir… I will take care of… yes, I will locate him, I saw him earlier… bye.”
Drake froze. What was he saying? Staying in the shadows, he watched as the man emerged. Drake took in a sharp breath. Where had he seen him before, where? He searched his memory but could not remember.
The man was a tall man in a suit causing him to stand out amidst the tourists there to hike. He had a scowl that didn’t seem to go away even when he smiled or pretended to be polite. His dark hair was of medium length. His voice was deep and unsettling. There was nothing of warmth or good in his air, only a cold, off-distance sort of essence. He was one of the men he had seen at the house.
The man’s eyes roved across the people passively until fixing his eyes on Drake. Their eyes met. He gave him a grim smile and nod to which Drake was unresponsive and walked away as though satisfied. Drake debated following him, but when he saw him go out into the parking lot, decided against it and instead went to find Emilie and Derek. The thought to tell them never even entered his mind.
“The tour we are going on today is the Left Hand Tunnel,” told Emilie when he returned, “It is one of the more advanced hikes and we carry lanterns!”
“Sounds difficult, climbing through caves carrying our own lights,” remarked Derek.
“It is,” Drake confirmed with animation, “but not very. It can get difficult taking pictures because you only have one available hand, but it is very enjoyable and you get to be closer to the caves.”
“You know a lot.”
“I like caves.”
“So do I,” Emilie grinned, her white teeth shining, “but let’s hurry, we’ll be late!”
Drake tried to forget about what he had heard so he could enjoy the tour, but it was not possible. He could not stop thinking about it. Emilie and Derek were not too engaged in the tour to notice, but they said nothing.
“So, Drake, how did you enjoy the tour?” Derek asked, dropping his backpack onto the floor of the hotel room that evening.
“Which one?”
“Any of them, or all,” replied Derek .
“I liked it very much - wish I hadn’t been so distracted.” This last part Drake thought.
“Did you have a favorite?” Drake shook his head.
“Why haven’t you been to caves before, any caves?” Drake asked, suddenly curious about why Derek seemed to have a particular lack of knowledge in that area.
Derek laughed awkwardly, “Can you keep a secret?” Drake nodded. “I have always had a phobia of caves.”
“Really?”
“Yes, but when I found out about how much Emilie liked the caves, I couldn’t say no when she invited me to see them. I can’t tell you how much my heart was beating when we climbed down the natural entrance, but once I was down there it was no problem. How long have you been interested in caves?”
“Since I came to the Carlyles,” Drake replied, “I’ve always found them interesting, but not as much as I was when I came.”
“You’re twelve, right?”
“I think I’m thirteen,” Drake answered.
“Really? Why?” Drake’s surliness didn’t ruffle Derek, to his own surprise.
Drake paused and looked at Derek searchingly then as if deciding he was clear answered with, “When I was very young, my mom once came home with some oreos, ice cream, and a box of cake. She put them on the table and told me she supposed it was my birthday. She didn’t seem sure, but then she did the math in her head and checked a calendar and nodded. ‘Yep, today's your birthday, Drake,’ she said to me, ‘Today you are seven years old, my, you are getting so old. Well, here are the things for your birthday. I’m no cook, so you’ll have to bake your own cake. Ice cream goes in the fridge. I’ll be back in an hour. Don’t burn the house down.’”
“You were seven and she let you bake your birthday cake on your own?” inquired Derek incredulously. A moment later he could have bit his tongue.
Drake appeared coolly offended and even betrayed because of Derek’s open surprise. “Yes and I made it, too. It was good, even my dad liked it.”
“Your dad?” Derek tried to return to a calm manner and make Drake forget his past reaction. Drake nodded. “I was not - I didn’t realize you knew him.”
“There is a lot you don’t know about me.” mentioned Drake edgily.
“I never thought that wasn’t true,” interjected Derek quickly. Drake didn’t say anything. “What’s your birthdate, then?”
“January 3rd.”
Derek couldn’t conduce a conversation after that, but he didn’t give up talking to his guest even if he would get no reply. Drake couldn’t help but appreciate it as well as feel annoyance. Derek’s persistence was making him feel bad for being so stubborn. An hour later the actor retired to bed and Drake sat dully on the couch. He was now in a down mood.
What if Derek was just being nice long enough to tell the police? Surely he frustrated him when he wasn’t responding. But if that were the case, why didn’t he just call. No, he seemed trustworthy. Now that that’s that, what about that strange man he’ll call Horace for now. Who was he really? What did he want? Why did he seem so satisfied when he saw Drake? He had to know! Excitement prevented Drake from sleeping as did dread of fitful dreams. Finally he decided that he would wake up before dawn and slip away before Derek woke. He would find a ride back to the caverns and just be careful to avoid the actor and actress. How hard could that be? In a more of a feigned peace than actual peace, Drake managed to fall asleep. It was the first restful sleep he had had in awhile and mostly because he forced himself to rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment